Monday, October 1, 2007

Personal/Family Update

I actually watched the sunrise on Saturday. It came up about 2 hours after I got up. It's been a long time since I've done that. We had to be up at 4:30 so we could get the kiddo up, fed, and at the school by 5:45. Funny how it's hard to go back to bed after 5 shots of espresso. Once he was off to his chess tournament, we headed back home. I parked on the stationary bike that has yet to find a better home than my front porch and used the handlebars as a make shift tripod and took a couple of pictures. I haven't downloaded them from my camera yet. I'll share them when I do.

Lately, it doesn't feel like I've had any just peaceful moments, but Saturday morning was good for me. I was reminded that no matter what else is going on, the sun keeps rising. New days begin. Anyone that has been reading this knows that I am certainly the cynic, but if its possible to be both a cynic and an optimist, then that's me. I'm feeling a little more like myself and hope to be returning to more entertaining fare. Although, I will likely continue to get personal from time to time. I will be making an attempt to get back to my opinions and commentary about random stuff. No promises that there will not be some bleed through.

Here is today's personal update.

Granddad moved to the hospice facility on Saturday. It seems to be a very nice place and the nursing staff is great. They flirt with him, blow him kisses, and one even offered to marry him and take him home. I talked to him after he got settled in. He told me that he knew the doctors were telling him that he wasn't going to win this one, but that didn't mean he was ready to give up the fight. I told him that I would pray for him to be strong.

He's been taking this opportunity to tell the family some old stories. Some I had heard before, some I hadn't. I'll try to put together what I can. He felt his most important thing to say was not a fun one. He told us that killing someone in war is awful. I can't believe he had been carrying that around for the last 60 years. As I told him, I am so proud and so thankful that he did that. And so sorry that he had to experience it. Real men don't go to war because they want to, they do it because it's their duty. He was one of the lucky ones that performed his duty well and came home from WWII. He wanted to say it because there are so many so-called men that like to brag about how many people they killed in the war. Granddad went to war because his country called him to do so and to be a man. I wish there were more men like Granddad.

Lots of family came down to visit on Sunday so I didn't stay long at hospice. He's was in good spirits even though he was very tired.

No comments: