Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thinking about today

There is so much to write about today. I almost can't make a decision. I originally thought I would write about the new Pope's chastising of Europeans. There is plenty of fodder for a rant there. Yes, God told us to be fruitful and multiply in order to populate the world. The world is populated. Over populated actually. He says people are being selfish, but I don't see him pitching in on college tuition, helping with homework, and attempting to schedule parent teacher conferences around a full time work schedule. But no, I'm not going to focus on that one.

I could talk about my opinions about the iPhone and the price drop. But it seems everyone else with internet access has done that. Hmm, how many of those articles have been written entirely using thumbs as so many are carrying little computers on their hips? I'm sure the next news story I see will be all about a rash of a new repetitive motion disorder a la carpal tunnel paralyzing the thumbs of generation X. I will admit that I am guilty of some thumb typing myself, but I've yet to make a blog entry that way. The blog is young though and so is my new Blackberry 8830.

There were so many news stories I thought maybe I could share my slant on until I saw this one. Suddenly everything else seemed so trivial. Call me a hopeless romantic but these kinds of stories warm my heart. While everyone else is critiquing whatever Bush or a presidential candidate said, this reporter decides to focus on something completely outside the sensationalist realm.

September 11, 2001 will always be remembered in solemn ceremonies across the country. Quite possibly the world. In our homes, offices, and even online communities, we will talk about how we experienced those events as they happened. The news will again show buildings collapsing as though the image was not permanently branded in our collective memory. And as human beings we need to go through that. We need to remember the pain together. We need to share it. We must move on, but we must not forget.

In the shock and pain of 9/11, ordinary people did something extraordinary. People dropped the facade and did whatever they could to help. Across the country people organized to send help in the form of care packages and skilled rescue workers. Prayers were lifted up for our fellow citizens whom we had never met. It didn't matter, we were a true community on that day and for some time afterwards. But as these things always do, it faded. We went back to our regular routines. My challenge to anyone that takes the time to read this, is just for today, remember that we banded together as one and try to feel like that again. The banner at the bottom of this post will take you to a site with some great suggestions on how to commemorate this day.






The animation may or may not work. It should take you to MyGoodDeed.org

No comments: