Friday, September 14, 2007

Could I just get a pill for that?

I've decided that being a wife, mother, full-time employee, and starting my own business is just too hard. It's outside the norm. It's challenging and stressful. Rather than rise above it and strive to succeed, I'm going to do what the rest of the world does and look for the answer in pill form. There are so many to choose from. I'm sure there is something for me. Or maybe I can just find a sympathetic doctor that will prescribe me some cocktail that will make the world shiny and happy. I"ll wash it all down with a cocktail of a different kind. Mmm blissful normalcy.

Do I have any complaints that someone hasn't made a pill for? Hmm, lets explore that. I'm a high energy person that can't stay in my preordained box. Bingo-there's Ritalin for that. There's one down. Sometimes I just can't find the motivation to get out of bed in the morning. Well there is a wide range of anti-depressants to choose from that will help with that. Too passionate? Probably manic; there's another medication for that. I often have trouble going to sleep, but there's Valuim (among others) out there for that. I just don't see the world the way other people do. Can you give me a conformist pill?

And don't forget my family. Children learn in elementary school that pills solve problems. Kid is disruptive? Must be ADHD. Husband is high energy and aggressively ambitious. Well look, there's a family history of ADHD! We're going to need pills for the side effects of all the pills too.

No wonder we live in a modest house with original art on the walls done by people that live inside. It isn't normal for a couple that got married when they were barely 20 to still be madly in love nearly 9 years later. A house full of projects in various stages of completion? Well that doesn't fit the standard.

Can I get a pill to put me way over me head in debt? Will it make me support sweatshops by shopping at Wal-Mart? How about getting me hooked on reality shows and following the antics of Britney Spears? Will it make me gain weight? Being my size certainly doesn't fit with the norm. Why not just make me believe everything I hear on the news too? Then I will be able to make an informed decision in the next election.

Since we can't medicate the masses to make them extraordinary, lets medicate the extraordinary to even the playing field. Sign me up! There's far less responsibility in being a follower.

1 comment:

The Wanderer said...

Our momma says " omg, yes I feel that way alot too."
We as perfectly adorable normal world dominating kitties have no ideas what you or she is talkings about. ;)

~Napoleon,Hunter,&Belle~