Friday, December 28, 2007

Here comes the Jackpot Question in Advance - What are you doing New Year's...New Year's Eve?

Who Me? I will have a tiny house full of too many people drinking way too much and having a great time. My house. With probably still a fallen tree out front because we haven't had time to do anything about it.

After much drinking and laughter, we will toast in the new year and possibly sing terribly off key and laugh again. Generally, it's something like:
For Auld Lang Syne, my dear
For Auuuld Laaaang Syyyyyne
For all the words have been forgot
And never brought to mind

So I thought, maybe I should find out the words. The internet is a wonderful thing. I found them here. And reprinted for your convenience. I can't very well ask you to put in so much work as to follow the link while thinking about champagne now can I?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne?

Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp!
And surely I'll be mine!
And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

We twa hae run about the braes
And pou'd the gowans fine.
We've wandered mony a weary foot,
Sin' auld lang syne.

We twa hae sported i' the burn,
From morning sun till dine,
But seas between us braid hae roared
Sin' auld lang syne.

And ther's a hand, my trusty friend,
And gie's a hand o' thine;
We'll tak' a right good willie-waught,,
For auld lang syne.

Apparently, 'auld lang syne' means 'times gone by.' Pretty sure they mean alchie-holic beverage by 'cup of kindness,' the song is Scottish after all. Aye. And in case you was a wonderin' - here's the original that Burns based his ditty upon.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Tho they return with scars?
These are a noble hero's lot,
Obtain'd in glorious wars;
Welcome, my Varo, to my breast,
Thy arms about me twine,
And make me once again as blest,
As I was auld lang syne.

O'er moor and dale with your gay friend
You may pursue the chase,
And after a blythe bottle end
All cares in my embrace.
And in a vacant rainy day
You shall be wholly mine:
We'll make the hours run smooth away
And laugh at auld lang syne.
Shall Monarchy be quite forgot,
And of it no more heard?
Antiquity be razed about
And slav'ry put in stead?
Is Scotsman's blood now grown so cold,
The valor of their mind,
That they can never once reflect
On old lang syne?

Quite an informative link it was. And for those thirsting for even more, here's some sheet music.


 



Now you are fully informed thanks to the randomness in my head. No more excuses for the drunken butchering of a classic Scottish drinking song!

So tell me, really, what are you doing New Year's Eve?

2 comments:

instinct said...

I stayed home and practiced my groaning and watched hours of "Project: Runway"

What can I say, I got sucked in.

Unknown said...

Understandable. Project Runway and What Not to Wear are guilty pleasures of mine. The party was fun. Not as crazy as usual, but the food was fantastic. New Year's day we had lunch with the family and then went to the gun range. It was great fun.